PokerBear

Documenting my attempts to learn to create a positive cash flow by playing poker online - with minimal cash.

30 March 2006

Hmmm

Well, been at it again. Tonight I have had the worst streak of bad luck I think I have ever had, at least when it comes to playing cards. I entered a few tournaments to practice. I think a total of 6 Sit'N'Gos... I won 2, came 2nd 3 times and 3rd once. 2 of the seconds I was just having such bad luck that I decided to just throw all in on a weak hand to get it over with, since every time I gained ground I would get no playable cards for 8-10 consecutive deals afterwards. It was just brutal... and when I say unplayable, I mean unplayable rags. Unsuited stuff, 3-8, 2-7... and the occasional face card would be a J or Q accompanied by an unsuited deuce or 3. I saw those cards over and over and even played a couple of the face cards since we were heads up or there were only 3 at the table. But, basically, if you can't win one hand in 5 it is almost impossible to break even. Frustrating! The interesting thing was the worst of the bad luck streak came in the middle of a tournament I decided to enter. It was a "Freeroll" tournie, but listed under the play money section of PartyPoker so I am assuming the $250 payout was play money as well. Earlier ones in the evening had had 6000 players. but the one I went into at 1am had 5183. It was an interesting experience... I managed to finish 251st in it, which is in the top 5%. Considering the run of cards I got, I can't complain - if I had had anything good in a run of about 22 straight deals I likely could have cracked the top 100. I am really starting to wonder if I don't play aggressively enough. I have prided myself on trying to be unpredictable, and not bluffing often. I have controlled my losses and gained most of the time but when luck runs bad, I wonder if I should press or just hope for a turn? Heck, I am not even sure I believe in luck really but mathematical probability says I should not have streaks that are so bad for so long. I guess I should be happy with the progress. After only a little over a week of learning, I seem to be good enough to beat 90% or more of the people out there and I guess that means I will win more often than not. I definitely found a few tougher opponents today though. Which is surprising, considering the reputation of Party Poker for having some really juicy lame opponents. Well... its very late. Time for one more round.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home